Register to Vote
You must be registered to vote 15 days prior to an election.
The voter registration deadline for the April 14, 2020 Municipal/School Board Election is March 30, 2020.
Who may register to vote
An individual must meet the following criteria to register to vote:
- Be a United States citizen (South Dakota Constitution, Article VII, Section 2)
- Reside in South Dakota (residency defined)
- Be at least 18 years old on or before the next election
- Not currently serving a sentence for a felony conviction which included imprisonment, served or suspended, in an adult penitentiary system (see additional felony information)
- Not be judged mentally incompetent by a court of law
SDCL 9-13-4.1 Registration and residence required to vote in a municipal election. Residency is clarified as follows: the voter
- resides in the municipality if the person actually lives in the municipality for at least 30 days each year; or
- is a full-time post-secondary education student who resided in the municipality immediately prior to leaving for post-secondary education; or
- is on active duty as a member of the armed forces whose home of record is within the municipality.
How to register to vote
To register to vote, an individual must:
- Complete the Voter Registration Form (PDF)
- Turn in the completed Voter Registration Form to the Brookings County Finance Office (City and County Government Center, 520 3rd Street, Suite 100 (1st Floor))
An individual is not registered to vote until their Voter Registration Application has been processed and accepted by the County Election Official. If a individual does not receive an acknowledgement notice within 15 days from the date submitted, please contact a County Election Official. To verify a individual’s voter registration status, visit the Secretary of State’s Voter Information Portal.