The City of Brookings annually holds a spring clean up for the residents. This program allows the residents to place their rubbish, debris and branches in front of their home during a designated time period. This program is for anyone residing within the city limits. Commercial haulers and businesses do not have free access to dumping. The City of Brookings Street Department, Park and Forestry, Solid Waste Collection and Landfill Departments work together to clean up the material set on the boulevards. The city will canvass the town one time only. All items must be placed at the boulevard. There is no alley pickup. Please make sure everything is on the boulevard to help reduce any damage from the use of heavy equipment.
Spring Cleanup Schedule | Hours
April 1, 2020 is the first day residents can start placing their items on the curb. All items must be out by Sunday, April 12.
IMPORTANT Please note: the following information has been impacted by the recent COVID-19 event. All City of Brookings Facilities including the City of Brookings Landfill have been closed to the public through mid-May. More information is available on the COVID-19 page.. This will not affect curbside pickup but precautionary measures will be taken (See Below). The paint exchange program has been canceled until next year.
Please Be Advised
Here at the City of Brookings we are practicing social distancing and being safe; so, we do have a few changes to spring cleanup that we want to make you aware of:
1. To minimize potential COVID-19 exposure, the City asks that no items be placed on the curb after April 12th to allow time for spring cleanup items to be untouched for a couple of days before being handled by collectors.
2. The COVID-19 virus can live on surfaces for quite some time. For that reason, the City asks that you please refrain from rummaging through items that others have placed out.
3. With the impact to the City’s operations, the timeline for pick up may take a little longer than in years past. Thank you in advance for being patient with us.
4. For the safety of City employees, please continue to utilize your green and blue carts for household refuse and recycling. Please refrain from placing it with spring cleanup items.
Free Landfill Dumping
The Brookings City Landfill is currently closed to the public through April 6th. Due to the closure, free dumping at the landfill which was originally scheduled to start on April 1st will now begin on April 6th
From April 6 through April 25, 2020, Brookings city residents may dump for free at the Landfill. Brookings residents are encouraged to take advantage of the free dumping by hauling as much of their smaller items to the Landfill as possible. This will allow city crews to focus on faster removal of the remaining large items.
We ask that you please practice social distancing and refrain from entering the Landfill office.
The City of Brookings Regional Landfill is open Monday through Friday from 7:30 am to 4:15 pm and Saturdays from 8:00 am to 11:45 am.
The City of Brookings landfill regulations and recycling policies require more sorting of items placed on the curb. Your cooperation is critical to continue this project. Below is a list of items that will not be picked up from the curb:
- Household refuse, place in green cart
- Cardboard, place in recycling cart
- Mixed piles will not be picked up
- Grass/leaves, haul to the Landfill for free
- Remodeling material/concrete
- Paint, drop off at paint exchange
- Batteries/waste oil/chemicals/hazardous waste
Items that must be hauled to the Landfill for a fee:
- Tires, fee based on size of tire
- Refrigerators/freezers/AC, $12 each plus sales tax
Tree Branch Pick-Up
Please remember that tree trunks and branches should not be more than 12 inches in diameter and 12 feet long. They must be placed lengthwise on the boulevard (same direction as gutter line). The City of Brookings will not enter the residential property to pick them up.