To receive an absentee ballot by mail, a voter must file a Absentee Ballot Application (PDF) for an early/absentee ballot with the City Clerk's Office at least 15 days prior to the municipal election. The application cannot be submitted by fax. The application must include a copy of the voters ID, or the voter's signature must be notarized or witnessed by an official who can administer an oath.
Mail the completed Absentee Ballot Application for a Brookings Municipal Election to: Brookings City Clerk
Brookings City and County Government Center
520 3rd Street, Suite 230
Brookings, SD 57006
For additional information, go to the Secretary of State's website.
The following officers may administer an oath:
- Notary Publics (Listing by name, city or county)
- Supreme Court judges, circuit judges, magistrates, clerks and deputy clerks of the circuit court, federal judges and federal magistrates
- County auditor, county treasurer, register of deeds and their deputies
- Mayors, town board presidents, municipal finance officers and deputies, and township clerks within their municipality or township
- Any commissioned officer in the military service
Acceptable forms of identification:
- A South Dakota driver's license or non-driver identification card; or
- A passport or an identification card, including a picture, issued by an agency of the United States government; or
- A tribal identification card, including a picture; or
- A current student identification card, including a picture, issued by a high school or an accredited institution of higher education, including a university, college, or technical school, located within the State of South Dakota.