For over 50 years, the City of Brookings has hosted a spring clean-up that allows residents to place their rubbish, debris, and branches in front of their homes during a designated time period. The City of Brookings Street Department, Park and Forestry, Solid Waste Collection and Landfill Departments work together to clean up the material on the boulevards. This year, the first day that residents can start placing their items on the curb is Wednesday, April 1st and all items must be out by Sunday, April 12th.
City crews will start the curbside pickup on Monday, April 13th. The city will be canvassing the town one time only.
Free dumping at the landfill will also be available during this time. The Landfill will be open Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 4:15 p.m. April 1st through April 25th. Special Saturday hours will be from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on April 11th. The last day of free dumping at the Landfill will be Saturday, April 25th, from 8:00 a.m. to 11:45 a.m. Brookings residents are encouraged to take advantage of the free dumping by hauling as much of their smaller items to the Landfill as possible. This will allow city crews to focus on faster removal of the remaining large curbside items. The City asks residents to remember all loads must be covered or a $ 10.00 fine will be assessed.
Residents are encouraged to listen to the radio to keep up with what section of town crews are in. Households must follow the guidelines that have been put in place, or their materials will not be picked up.
Schedule for curbside pick-up
- SECTION 1: Railroad tracks to 6th Street and from Main Avenue to 16th Avenue
- SECTION 2: Front Street to 6th Street and from Main Avenue to Western Avenue
- SECTION 3: 6th Street to 11th Street and from Medary Avenue to Western Avenue
- SECTION 4: 6th Street to 8th Street east of Medary Avenue
- SECTION 5: Railroad Tracks to 6th Street from 16th Avenue to 22nd Avenue
- SECTION 6: South of Railroad Tracks from Medary Avenue South to 22nd Avenue South
- SECTION 7: Railroad Tracks south to City limits from Medary Avenue West to City Limits
Paint Exchange Program
The Annual Paint Exchange program will be held on Saturday, April 11, 2020, at the Brookings Regional Landfill. Citizens can bring in latex paint from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon to be recycled. Then from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m., the paint will be available to the general public free of charge.
If residents have any questions, they can call the Brookings Solid Waste Department at (605) 693-3667 or go to www.cityofbrookings.org.