You may have noticed the construction project going on at Moriarty Park on 17th Avenue South, and wondered what it’s for, and how it works and when it will be finished. Below is more information.
- The pond being built is a detention pond; meaning the pond holds water temporarily during rain events and releases the water more slowly to reduce the peak flow rate.
- After the rain event is over, the pond will continue to release the stored water until it has completely drained.
- This pond is expected to reduce flooding to properties in the immediate area and downstream properties in the adjoining addition.
- Grass will be planted over the entirety of the pond and will be mowed to keep an aesthetic look.
- The substantial completion of the project is expected by August 14th, with final touchup work being completed by the first part of October.
- When complete, this pond will have a similar look as Rotary Park, which is just East of Arby’s and the National Guard Building on 6th Street.