To receive an absentee ballot by mail
- The voter must file a Absentee Ballot Application (PDF) with the City Clerk’s Office.
- The Absentee Ballot Application cannot be submitted by fax or email.
- The Absentee Ballot Application must include a copy of the voter’s photo identification, OR the voter’s signature must be notarized or witnessed by an official who can administer an oath.
- If the Voter DOES NOT have a form of photo identification, they will be allowed to complete a Personal Identification Affidavit. (SDCL 12-18-6.1)
- Mail the completed Absentee Ballot Application to:
The Brookings City Clerk’s Office
Brookings City and County Government Center
520 3rd Street, Suite 230
Brookings, SD 57006
For additional information, go to the Secretary of State’s website.
Absentee Ballot Applications are only good for the calendar year (January thru December). A new application must be completed each calendar year.
The following officers may administer an oath:
- Notary Public (Listing by name, city or county)
- Supreme Court judges, circuit judges, magistrates, clerks and deputy clerks of the circuit court, federal judges and federal magistrates
- County auditor, county treasurer, register of deeds and their deputies
- Mayors, town board presidents, municipal finance officers and deputies, and township clerks within their municipality or township
- Any commissioned officer in the military service
Approved forms of photo identification:
- A South Dakota driver’s license or non-driver identification card; or
- U.S. government photo ID (passport is acceptable); or
- U.S. Armed Forces ID; or
- A current student photo identification card from a South Dakota high school or South Dakota accredited institution of higher education; or
- A Tribal photo identification card.