The April 14th Combined Municipal / School Board Election will be postponed to June 23, 2020 pending City Council’s approval. The passage of House Bill 1298 required all elections in April and May be moved to “any Tuesday in June” in response to COVID-19 pandemic.
Early / Absentee Voting will be ongoing through 5:00 p.m. on Monday, June 22nd at the Brookings City & County Government Center 1st floor lobby. Voters are asked to use the West entrance to the building.
The City of Brookings wants to ensure voters know the options available to them to exercise their right to vote, and to mitigate their exposure to COVID-19. Voters can request early/absentee ballots be mailed to them for the Combined Brookings Municipal/Brookings School Board Election.
Follow the steps below to receive your ballot by mail:
- Download and print the Absentee Ballot Application from one of the following websites: www.sdsos.gov or www.cityofbrookings.org
- Return the original, signed application to the County Finance Office, or the City Clerk’s Office. Email copies cannot be accepted. (The application must either be notarized or include a copy of an approved form of photo identification.)
- Vote your ballot when it arrives by mail and return in the provided envelope as soon as possible. Be sure to place postage on the envelope.
Absentee ballot applications can be returned to the City Clerks office via mail or placed in the payment drop box located on the west side of the City & County Government Building (envelopes should be labeled “Attn: City Clerk’s Office.”)
All absentee ballots must include a copy of an approved form of photo identification. Approved forms consist of any of the following: SD driver’s license, non-driver ID card, passport or other picture ID issued by the US Government, tribal photo ID, or a photo ID by a SD post-secondary education institution.
The following community businesses have offered their services for assisting voters with acquiring copies of their photo IDs:
- Hy-Vee customer service counter
- Dacotah Bank drive-through
- First Bank & Trust banking drive-through
- Dakota Land Federal Credit Union drive-through
Absentee voted ballots must be received by 5:00 p.m. on June 22nd, 2020.
For more information, please contact Bonnie Foster, City Clerk at (605) 692-6281 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. City Clerk’s mailing address: 520 3rd St. Ste 230 Brookings, SD 57006.