South Dakota Department of Health Update: 9-11-2020:
The South Dakota Department of Health has confirmed (through their COVID-19 website) that there are now 567 total cases of COVID-19 in Brookings County, and 417 of those individuals have recovered. There are currently 149 active cases and one (1) death. The South Dakota Department of Health COVID-19 webpage is updated daily with new cases of the coronavirus. The Department of Health has changed its definition for community spread (see https://doh.sd.gov/news/Coronavirus.aspx) At this time, Brookings County is in the "substantial" community spread category.
Local, Regional and National COVID-19 Data Update: 9-11-2020:
Source: Bonny Specker, Ph. D., South Dakota State University, Division of Research and Economic Development.
Video Update: - September 8, 2020
Weekly Summary - Week ending August 28, 2020
- A total of 24 million cases & 835,000 deaths worldwide.
- There were about 250,000 cases & 5,600 deaths per day reported this past week.
- Both cases & deaths have been fairly constant this past week.
- About 6 million cases & 180,000 deaths nationally.
- There was a decline in the number of cases from about 46,000 to 43,000 cases per day this past week & deaths have been constant at about 1,000 per day.
- It has been a rough week with a total of 1,633 new cases in the past week for a total of 12,517 cases.
- South Dakota is ranked first in the country for the largest percent increase in new cases.
- The number of new cases per day has increased from an average of 145 to 233.
- This is the first week that cases outside of the Sioux Falls area exceeded those within the Sioux Falls area.
- Due to reporting aberrations that occurred with the DOH dashboard (see slide 9) it is not possible this week to determine what percent of cases aged 60 years or older.
- Percent test positivity is running high at 22% as of today.
- 44 cases have been hospitalized this past week for a total of 995 hospitalizations.
- There were 6 deaths this week for a total of 165 deaths.
- Sturgis: Sturgis has seen 170 new cases (a 186% percent increase) among its residents since the first day of the Sturgis bike rally.
- Brookings County:
- There were 68 cases reported this week for a total of 240 cases. There are 69 active cases in Brookings.
- There were no new hospitalizations or deaths reported.
- Percent test positivity for Brookings is running high at 25% as of today.
If you are planning to travel either within or outside the U.S., you should look at possible travel restrictions since many states and countries are requiring anyone who has been in South Dakota to quarantine for two weeks or present evidence of a negative COVID test. As of August 28th, the following states require travelers from South Dakota to quarantine (https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/10/travel/state-travel-restrictions.html): Alaska (requires negative test), Connecticut, Washington D.C., Hawaii, Illinois (Chicago), Kentucky, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont.
Journal of American Medical Association Articles
Daily Data | COVID-19 | Updated - September 11, 2020
Download a PDF version of the data presented below here