South Dakota Department of Health Update: 9-17-2020:
The South Dakota Department of Health has confirmed (through their COVID-19 website) that there are now 622 total cases of COVID-19 in Brookings County, and 535 of those individuals have recovered. There are currently 85 active cases and two (2) deaths. The South Dakota Department of Health COVID-19 webpage is updated daily with new cases of the coronavirus. The Department of Health has changed its definition for community spread (see https://doh.sd.gov/news/Coronavirus.aspx) At this time, Brookings County is in the "substantial" community spread category.
Local, Regional and National COVID-19 Data Update: 9-17-2020:
Source: Bonny Specker, Ph. D., South Dakota State University, Division of Research and Economic Development.
Video Update: - September 14, 2020
Weekly Summary - Week ending September 12, 2020
- 28.6 million total cases with 1.86 million new cases this past week.
- 919,000 total deaths with close to 41,000 deaths this past week.
- 6.6 million total cases with 247,000 new cases this past week.
- 197,000 total deaths with 5,300 deaths this past week.
- The number of new cases in South Dakota is down this week (n=1,548) compared to last week (n=2,079), but the 7-day running average today is back on the rise. It is not clear how the long Labor Day weekend influenced case reporting.
- 22% of the cases this past week have been older than 60 years of age, which could translate into increased hospitalizations and deaths over the next couple of weeks.
- Percent test positivity for the past week continues to be very high at 22% (WHO recommends below 5%).
- Number of hospitalizations during the past week continues to increase with 84 hospitalizations this week compared to 67 last week. The 7-day running average of hospitalizations per day is the highest it has ever been, including during the Smithfield outbreak in April and May.
- There were 10 deaths this week for a total of 183 deaths. Between 2010 and 2020, the median number of influenza deaths per year has been 32.
- Percent of South Dakota population ever testing positive for COVID, percent of cases ever hospitalized, and case fatality rates by age were updated on September 11th.
- There were 121 new cases reported this week for a total of 589 cases. As of today, there are 151 active cases in Brookings. The running average number of new cases has decreased this past week from 26 new cases per day last week to 17 new cases per day this week.
- Cases in Clay County (USD) has been added to the Brookings cumulative case slide.
- No new hospitalizations or deaths this past week, with a total of eight hospitalizations and one death reported.
- Percent test positivity for Brookings over the past week has been 17%. The WHO recommends that this percentage is below 5%.
If you are planning to travel either within or outside the U.S., you should look at possible travel restrictions since many states and countries are requiring anyone who has been in South Dakota to quarantine for two weeks or present evidence of a negative COVID test. As of September 3rd, the following states require travelers from South Dakota to quarantine (https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/10/travel/state-travel-restrictions.html):
- Alaska (requires negative test)
- Washington D.C.
- Hawaii (requirements may change Oct. 1)
- Illinois (Chicago)
- New Hampshire (possible)
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- Rhode Island
- Vermont (possible)
Journal of American Medical Association Articles
Daily Data | COVID-19 | Updated - September 17, 2020
Download a PDF version of the data presented below here